Dr. Uma Dhanabalan
Uma V.A. Dhanabalan, MD, MPH, FAAFP is a highly respected physician trained in Family Medicine and Occupational & Environmental Medicine. She is Board certified in Occupational Medicine, a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians and a Diplomate Certified in Cannabis Medicine.
She received her Medical Degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and her Master’s Degree in Public Health specializing in Occupational & Environmental Medicine from the Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts. She received the Resident Research Award from the American College of Occupational & Environmental Medicine for her research project: “Occupational & Environmental Exposure to Lead in South India”
Dr. Dhanabalan is the Founder/CEO of Global Health & Hygiene Solutions, LLC in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Global Health & Hygiene Solutions mission is to promote wellness and prevent illness. The tools and lectures created are used in health screening and for education.
Dr. Dhanabalan worked for the Hanford Project in Richland, Washington. The Hanford Site was created in 1943 as part of the Manhattan Project. They manufactured the Plutonium that was used in the first nuclear bomb which was detonated over Nagasaki, Japan. The operation at Hanford created one of the largest and most complex cleanup projects in the USA. Weapons production resulted in more than 43 million cubic yards of radioactive waste and over 130 million cubic yards of contaminated soil and debris.
Dr. Dhanabalan is actively involved with multiple diverse organizations. She is passionate about educating the public and patients while empowering with them with knowledge about cannabis and the endocannabinoid system. She is a Cannabis Therapeutics Specialist doing Medical Marijuana authorizations at Uplifting Health and Wellness in Natick MA. She is dedicated to “Educating, Embracing and Empowering” her patients while promoting cannabis as a treatment option. She has an array of patients aging from age 18 and older who suffer from various medical conditions and are using or considering medical marijuana for treatment of their illnesses. Dr Dhanabalan states “Cannabis is not an entrance drug, it is an exit drug from pharmaceuticals and narcotics.”
- Fellowship Co-Chief Resident July 1999 – June 2003 Harvard School of Public Health Department of Environmental Health Boston, MA
- Graduate School August 1998 – June 1999 Harvard School of Public Health Masters in Public Health Boston, MA
- Residency July 1995 – June 1998 Medical University of South Carolina Department of Family Medicine Charleston, SC
- Medical School August 1991 – June 1995 UMDNJ – New Jersey Medical School Medical Degree Newark, NJ
- College August 1981 – May 1984 Rutgers University Bachelor of Arts Newark, NJ Zoology & Physiology – High Honors
- Board Certified in Occupational Medicine (2005 to 2015)
- Board Certified in Family Medicine (1998 to 2005)
- Fellow American Academy of Family Medicine Medical Review Officer (2010-2017)
Diplomat Cannabinoid Medicine 2014
- American College of Occupational & Environmental Medicine American Academy of Family Physicians Society of Cannabis Clinicians Harvard University –
- School of Public Health Alumni University of Medicine and Dentistry –
- NJMS Alumni Rutgers University –
- Newark Alumni Tufts University Adjunct-Department of Public Health/Family Medicine Boston, MA, Northeastern Institute of Cannabis-
- Instructor Medical Marijuana 101 Natick, MA
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Frontier in Occupational & Environmental Medicine Award American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, April 2000
- Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society Rutgers University, May 1984
- Excellence in Science Award Rutgers University, May 1984
- March 9, 2017 Pittcon, “A Physician’s View on Medical Cannabis”’ Chicago, IL
- February 23, 2017 Cannavation, “Medical Cannabis” Boston, MA
- February 21, 2017 SC Compassionate Care Alliance, “Legal Access for Cannabis Patients”, Columbia, SC
- February 20, 2017 Palms to Palmettos, “Cannabis: The Exit Drug: Columbia, SC
- January 28, 2017 Cannabis Awareness Society, “The Medical Benefits of Cannabis and the Current Legal Issues Preventing it from Helping More Lives”, Brooklyn, NY
- January 14, 2017 “Forward and Back” a patient support group hosted by Cannabis Forward, “Cannabis: The Exit Drug”, Greenville, SC
- December 30, 2016 New England Veterans Alliance, Operation Uplift, Worcester, MA
- December 4, 2016 7th World Ayurveda Congress and Arogya Expo, “The Endocannabinoid System and Therapeutic Use of Cannabis” Kolkata, India
- November 12, 2016 “Role of Herbal Medicine in Cancer Treatments”, Tower Hill Botanic Garden, Boylston, MA
- November 2, 2016 Hospice & Palliative Care Federation of Massachusetts Annual, Cannabis & the Endocannabinoid System”, Four Points, Norwood, MA
- October 26, 2016 “Cannabis & Cancer” Cancer Schmancer 2016 Health Summit, Skirball Center, Los Angeles, CA
- October 22, 2016 New England Cannabis Convention, Sullivan Center USM South Maine Campus, Portland, ME
- October 13, 2016 Marijuana Legalization Ballot Question 4 Debate “Election 2016 Debate” Viking Hall Central Campus, Salem, MA
- October 6, 2016 Cannabis Science Conference Red Lion Hotel on the River, Jantzen Beach, Portland, Oregon
- October 5, 2016 Northeast Association of Occupational Health Nurses Conference “Medical Marijuana & its Implications in the Workplace” Portland, ME
- October 1, 2016 Passport to Wellness Healthy Living Expo, “Breast Cancer Awareness” Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation, Providence RI
- September 25, 2016 Medical Cannabis Education Forum, “Cannabis: The Exit Drug” Larkin’s Sawmill, Greenville, SC
- September 17/18, 2016 Boston Freedom Rally Speaker/Educational Village Panel Boston Common, Boston MA
- September 10, 2016 Opioid Epidemic Hack-A-Thon, Mentor/Participant, District Hall Boston MA
- September 9, 2016 Mentor/Participant, Opioid Epidemic Challenge Summit, Boston MA
- September 7, 2016 WAOK AM 1380 Radio Atlanta GA August 28, 2016 “The Movement with Dr. Keith Slaughter” Atlanta, GA Patient Night: Massachusetts Patient Advocacy Alliance
- August 27, 2016 William Noyes Webster Foundation “Medical Cannabis Patient Awareness Night” Hyannis, MA WIGO AM 1570 Radio “Voices of Dissent”
- August 19 2016, Boston Behavioral Medicine “Cannabis & the Endocannabinoid” Brookline, MA
- August 8, 2016 System” Women’s Grow MA: “Women, Weed, and Wellness” Brookline, MA
- July 18, 2016 New Bedford City Council Committee, Brand Higher Elevating Boston, MA
- June 7, 2016 Cannabusiness “Medical Information & Medical Marijuana Program Overview” New Bedford, MA
- June 6, 2016 WCVB Channel 5 News Investigative Report with Mike Beaudet
- June 4 & 5, 2016 Medical Marijuana Caregivers of Maine 5th Annual Homegrown 2016, Boston, MA
- June 3, 2016 Maine Trade Show and Expo Doctors Panel/Opiate Panel Augusta, ME
- June 1, 2016 The Colorado Cannabis Growers Association Guest Speaker “Cannabis & The Endocannabinoid System”, Denver, CO
- May 21, 2016 “The Endocannabinoid System” Walsenburg, CO Central MASS Lyme Foundation Annual Conference
- May 14, 2016 “Treating Lyme Disease: Cannabis and The Endocannabinoid System” WEMF Radio DenSity Radio Show with Michelle Richardson, Worcester, MA
- April 2016 “Multiple Sclerosis & Cannabis” Boston, MA Marijuana VS the State of Georgia “Witness Testimony”
- April 29, 2016 Palmetto Synergistic Research “Endocannabinoid System” Georgia, GA
- April 28, 2016 Switzerland, FL Tufts Case Presentation
- April 26, 2016 Tufts University Babson College Cannabis Symposium “Cannabis: The Exit Drug”
- April 26, 2016 Wellesley, MA Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts: Brain Injury Survivor
- April 23-24, 2016 Support Group “Cannabis & Brain Injury” Framingham, MA New England Cannabis Convention “Medical Marijuana as Medicine”
- April 12, 2016 UMass Medical School 17 Annual Primary Care Days Conference, Boston, MA
- April 1, 2016 Keynote Speaker “Marijuana for Medical Use” The Reefer Madness Show with Mike Callahan Westborough, MA
- March 30, 2016 MCR Labs “Cannabinoids & Terpenes” Acton, MA
- March 18, 2016 Cannabis Society: Northeast Cannabis Coalition “Start up High” Framingham, MA
- February 26, 2016 Media Public Access Television Cambridge, MA Belmont
- February 25, 2016 Patient Night Cannabis Society: Wicked Good Causes Belmont, MA
- January 11, 2016 Patient Night: Massachusetts Patients Advocacy Alliance Cambridge, MA
- January 11, 2016 “Cannabis as a Preventative Medicine” Dedham, MA SCATV “The Somerville Line”
- December 14, 2015 WBUR Radio, Boston, MA
- November 29, 2015 “Sticky Hits” WEMF Radio. Cambridge, MA
- November 11, 2015 Nation Alliance for Mental Illness: Cannabis: A Plant Medicine Middleton, MA
- November 10, 2015 Georgia Legislative Black Caucus, Atlanta, GA
- November 7-8, 2015 New England Cannabis Convention, Medical Panel, Portland, ME
- October 23, 2015 Cannabis & the Endocannabinoid System, Grand Rounds Guthrie Hospital, Sayre, PA
- September 26, 2015 Boston Freedom Rally, Speaker, Boston, MA
- September 12-13, 2015 New England Cannabis Convention, Keynote Speaker Boston, MA
- September 4, 2015 Cannabis Madness or Medicine? Wicked Good Weed Expo, Cambridge, MA
- June 18, 2015 Medical Marijuana: Clearing the Smoke on Fact from Fiction CT EAPA Wallingford, Connecticut
- May 22-23, 2015 Patients Out of Time: Ninth National Clinical Conference on Cannabis Palm Beach County Convention Center, Florida
- April 25, 2015 Cannabis and the Endocannabinoid System Babson Cannabis Symposium, Babson College, Wellesley,
- MA February 2015 Cannabis and the Endocannabinoid System CME Metro West Hospital, Natick, MA
- February 2015 Boston Ethical Committee Panel Discussion Cannabis Society, Cambridge, MA
- November 15, 2014 Cannabis and PTSD Gaylord Hospital Connecticut
- September 2014, Veterans Panel MASSCANN/NORML Boston Freedom Rally Boston, MA
- September 2014 Cannabis and PTSD Society of Cannabis Clinicians Berkley, CA
- August 2014 Cannabis Therapeutics Georgia C.A.R.E (Campaign for Access, Reform & Education) Atlanta, Georgia
- May 9, 2014 Medical Marijuana 420 American Psychotherapy Conference Executive Summit Tucson, AZ
- March 22, 2014, Medical Marijuana-The Past Present Future of Cannabis 2nd Annual Southern Cannabis Reform Conference Atlanta, GA
- February 4, 2014 Medical Cannabis & You NORML (National Organization for the Reform Marijuana Laws) Atlanta, GA
- February 2014 Massachusetts Cannabis Legalization, Cannabis Society of Massachusetts Boston, MA
- 08/14 – present Uplifting Health and Wellness, LLC Natick, Massachusetts Chief Medical Officer
- 06/06 – present Global Health & Hygiene Solutions, LLC Cambridge, Massachusetts Founder, CEO
- 09/11 – 10/12 Medcor at Bechtel Occupational Health Services Richland, Washington Occupational Medicine Physician
- 05/10 –08/11 Advanced Med Hanford Occupational Health Services
- Richland, Washington Occupational Medicine Physician
- 04/09 –05/10 Caritas Physician Network Brockton, Massachusetts Family Practice/Occupational & Environmental Medicine
- 09/06 – 12/08 Caritas Good Samaritan Hospital Occupational Health Services Avon, Massachusetts Occupational Medicine Physician
- 07/05 – 03/06 Kimberly Clark Corporation – Health Services Roswell, Georgia Regional Medical Director-Roswell, Consultant, South Asia Developing & Emerging Countries
- 09/03 – 06/05 Kimberly Clark Corporation – Health Services Roswell, Georgia Associate Medical Director-Roswell
- 9/03 – 01/15 Emory University Atlanta, Georgia Preceptor for Occupational Medicine
- 7/02 – present Harvard School of Public Health Boston, Massachusetts Visiting Scientist
- 9/99 – present Kindred-Northeast Specialty Hospital Braintree, Massachusetts Occupational Medicine Physician
- 8/02 – 4/03 Quadrant Health Strategies Peabody, Massachusetts Medical Director
- 12/00 – 4/02 Corporate Care St. Joseph Hospital Occupational Health & Safety Service Providence, Rhode Island Medical Director
- 5/00 – 9/00 Polaroid Corporation Waltham, Massachusetts Physician, Occupational Medicine 5/00 – 9/00 Olympus Hospital Braintree, Massachusetts Physician, Primary Care / Intensive Care
- 10/00 -12/00 Occupational Health and Rehabilitation Wellesley, Massachusetts Physician, Occupational Medicine “Moonlighting” – Coverage as needed for Occupational Medicine Physicians
- 7/98 – 9/99 MUSC- Graduate Medical Office Charleston, South Carolina Resident Co-Coordinator
- I was involved with a pilot project that exposed residents to Care Management in Family Medicine and Internal Medicine. Prepare application for ACGME accreditation for Transitional Year program at MUSC
- 4/91 – 6/95 UMDNJ- Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology Newark, New Jersey Research Teaching Specialist Trained and assisted Reproductive Endocrine Fellows in projects involving tissue culture of granulosa cells obtained for patients undergoing in vitro fertilization, and performed Radioimmunoassay to measure progesterone production and the effect of various inhibitors.
- 4/88 – 5/91 Prudential Insurance Company Fairfield, New Jersey Personal Injury Claims Representative Handled claims filed by insured, who had been involved in personal injuries due to motor vehicle accident, work injuries and other causes. It involved medical follow-ups with treating physicians and others. Knowledge of the policy’s liabilities and limits.
- 9/85 – 9/87 Rutgers University Newark, New Jersey Teaching Assistant Taught and tutored undergraduate students in general biology laboratory, anatomy and physiology laboratory.
- 8/83- 8/85 CMDNJ – Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Department of Preventive Medicine Newark, New Jersey Research Assistant Collected data to study the prophylaxis use of Trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole in women undergoing cesarean section.
- 7/82 – 8/83 CMDNJ – Department of Surgery and Department of Radiology Newark, New Jersey Laboratory Technician Tumor biopsy samples obtained from patients with head and neck cancer was implanted in the sub-renal capsule of mice. Various chemotherapy agents, in combination, were studied, and its effect on tumor growth and or reduction. Studies were also conducted to see the effect of coagulation in the presence of tumor and resection of tumor.
- 6/81- 6/82 CMDNJ – Department of Surgery Newark, New Jersey Volunteer – Laboratory Assistant Designed and conducted various studies using animal models to study the effect of diabetes on microcirculation, effect of ethanol on murine burns, and frostbite.
- RESEARCH ACTIVITIES Ayyadurai UV, Spillert CB, Vidaver RM, Lazaro EJ: Assessment of diabetic microcirculation with intravital dye. Clinical Research 30(2): 169, 1982 – abstract.
- Spillert CR, Murphy TV, Hollinshead MA, Ayyadurai UV, Lazaro EJ: Effect of ethanol on murine burns. Presented – Fifth Annual Conference on shock. June 9-11, 1982, Clinical Research 30(3): 683, 1982 – abstract.
- Spillert CR, Machiedo GW, Ayyadurai UV, Lazaro EJ: Increased lethality of endotoxemia in murine frostbite. Presented – Fifth Annual Conference on shock. June – 11, 1982.
- Raina S, Greenstein SM, Dhanabalan UVA: Sub-renal capsular assay. Presented Oncology Society of New Jersey. West Orange, NJ. December 1, 1982.
- Greenstein SM, Raina S, Ayyadurai UV, Spillert CR: Changes in blood coagulation before and after tumor resection. Presented – New York Academy of Science, New York, NY January 1983.
- Raina S, Spillert CR, Greenstein SM, Dhanabalan UVA, Lazaro EJ: Effect of surgery on tumor-induced accelerated coagulation in a rat squamous cell carcinoma. Presented Seventeenth Annual Meeting of the Association for Academic Surgery. Syracuse, NY. November 1983.
- Greenstein SM, Raina S, Ayyadurai UV, Spillert CR: Curative surgery abolishes accelerated coagulation. Presented -Residents section at the Annual Meeting of the Society of University Surgeons. Oklahoma City, OK February 9, 1983, Current Surgery 41(3): 182-3, 1984, May-June.
- Brown JR, Gagliardi CL, Saketos M, Dhanabalan UVA, Weiss G: Relaxin and progesterone secretion by epithelioid and fibroblastic variants of hCG stimulated luteinized human granulosa cells (LHGC) in culture Presented – American Fertility Society Forty-eighth Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. November 2-5, 1992.
- Saketos M, Gagliardi CL, Dhanabalan UVA, Weiss G, Goldsmith LT: Does an autocrine effect of relaxin exist in human luteinized granulosa cells? Presented – Seventy-fifth Endocrine Society Meeting. Anaheim CA. June 15-18, 1994.